We decided to have a quiet Australia Day this year, just us. Getting into the spirit of it no less though! Playing Triple J waiting for the Hottest 100 in the background, a spark of Aussie inspiration came over me – Anzac Biscuits, but Wholefood Raw Balls!!!
Hmm… So starting with Wholegrain Oats, it all flowed from there. The perfect accompaniment to your favourite tea, any day not just Australia Day. I served it with a pot of Dandelion Root Tea for morning tea.
I do have to say, they taste exactly like the naughty, highly sugary, high fat, baked versions – but these have probably <1% Fat, and low GI sugars.
Highly recommend trying these out:
Raw Anzac Balls*
Makes 4-6 Balls, so double or triple quantities for making a lasting batch – they won’t last the day though, I guarantee.. Make them into cookie size if you like that better!
• 1/4 Cup Wholegrain Oats* (*these make the balls high raw, as rolled oats have been steam pressed at high temps)
• 1/4 Cup Coconut Flakes/ Shredded/ or Dessicated
• 1/8 Cup Buckwheat Kernels (best if Activated – these add the extra crunch that’s necessary)
• 1/3 tsp Bee Pollen
• 1 Dsp Lucuma Powder
• 1 big fresh Medjool Date, finely diced
• 2 heaped tsp Raw Honey
• 1 Tbsp Cacao Butter, melted (this helps set the final product into the desired shape)
• 1 Dsp, or less Filtered Water
• Pinch Fine Pink Salt
In a small bowl mix well the Oats, Coconut, Buckwheat, Bee Pollen, Lucuma & Salt.
Add the chopped date, pulling pieces off the large mass you’ll end up with, to help the mixing process. Mix this in well.
Then add the Honey, and Cacao Butter. Mix this in really well, for longer than a minute, almost kneading it with the spoon too. Add water, only if needed – it should look like a very crumbly dough.
Moisten hands with a tiny bit water. Roll balls to desired size.
Set in fridge for 10- 30mins (depends how long you can wait), but this helps the Cacao Butter set the shapes.
Serve with tea or on their own!
Store in fridge for up to 4 days.
*** HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY everyone!!! ***